I heard this question constantly in groups and community sites, and even in some of my one-on-one coaching.
“I want to start a blog and make money today. “
I’d like to disavow a few notions.
When I started my blog, I thought the same thing. With all the Pinterest images and blog posts shouting to start a blog and make thousands of dollars tomorrow, we all fall into the belief trap. Now, this *CAN* happen; however, for most of us, it’s not quite that easy. So to answer the question, Can I start a blog and make money today? Not quite.
Let’s look at it this way. To start a blog, you need:
Start a Blog – Business stuff
- A Company or LLC (if you plan to make money, Your Entrepreneur School)
Start a Blog – Name and Hosting
Start a Blog – Design
- A logo
- A design or theme (Genesis and Restored 316)
- Branding colors and design
- Topics to write about
- eMail provider for your people (ConvertKit, MailChimp, Flodesk, etc.)
- Affiliates to get money (if you don’t have a product yet)
- Google Adsense (pays pennies)
- Monumetric (pays better but you have to have 10,000 sessions before you can apply)
- MediaVine (pays better than Monumetric but you have to have 25,000 users before you can apply)
- Other affiliates such as Amazon, Share-a-sale, CJ Affiliates (pays pennies or about 1-2%)
- Image software and images that are legal to distribute (Ivorymix, Unsplash, Adobe)
- Social media connections (and someone to provide images and content DAILY)
- Opt-ins (or freebies) for most if not all posts, usually some sort of handout, and software to provide that freebie (such as SendOwl)
- A product, course or something similar (you’ll need another product to run your courses such as Podia, Thinkific, or Teachable)
- and finally…
The Final Ingredient
Customers! You need pageviews and users and people that actually read your material and want your products. Many of the things listed above require money AND learning a new product. This doesn’t include the organization of all this.
That’s where we come in. Many of these things you can do yourself (and Annie Richardson Consulting can help you), or you can pay to have done (I highly recommend Grayson Bell at iMarkInteractive.) or a combination of DIY and done for you.
As you can see, it’s just not an overnight simple thing. Being a blogger does require work. At least at first.
This means that your blog should be something you’re passionate about. That makes it much easier to write about. If you choose something you’re not passionate about, you’ll drag your feet and every blog post will be a chore.
In addition, if you’re not willing to work just a little harder, stay far away from any kind of training (craft training, tech training, demonstrations of any kind). Traditionally, these types of blogs will require videos, posts, and lots of step-by-step instructions.
So, hopefully, I haven’t scared you away. Blogging is fun. Blogging is an adventure. I personally love blogging. I just wanted to throw it out there that you can’t expect to be a million-dollar blogger overnight, but you can get there!
We will be happy to work with you to get your blog started. We have videos and several other items to help you start. You can start by reading Before you Start a Blog. This will get you on the right path, then follow the steps in Blog Tech Training.
After you’re reached the end of those two posts, just start writing. Your blog posts should be at least 500 words, and usually more than 1,000, but at the beginning, just start writing. Write down all your ideas for posts, draft out your posts, get something down on paper or on your blog. THEN, and only then, we will worry about the way your blog looks, feels, and gets traffic.
Let us Help you
I’m excited to share this journey with you. I’d love to invite you to have access to our Resource Library. The tools in the Library are free to you, all you have to do is provide your email address. We will not spam you.
In addition, the next day, I will send you something special that you’ll love! So go ahead, get signed up, read the posts, start your journey and I’ll be here waiting for you!
Until Next Time, Happy Blogging!
Your Fairy Blogmother
Let’s be social:
YouTube: Your Fairy Blogmother